Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Greetings from Berlin

Hello all, I am writing to you from my hostel boat in Berlin. I payed 2 Euro for an hour of internet so I can actually write a detailed post. YAY get excited....

Our boat is pretty neat except for the fact that almost everyone staying here is an old couple. Good thing us three girls are a good time because we can make our own fun at all times. I will touch on the highlights from our time in Berlin so far..

Meeting a really nice German man on the train who spoke perfect English. He showed us which train to get on, what pass we needed to buy, and how to get where we were staying. Our trip was so smooth and I think we found our hostel in like 20 minutes from the time we got of the train. (Much better than the 2.5 hours that we spent trying to get out of the Paris airport haha) It was weird because his wife is an American and her family lives in Olathe..talk about small world!!

Enoying a German beer on the boat while watching the sunset and then going out. Apparently Sunday is the recovery day in Berlin because people party every other day and night. Sometimes I wonder if that is all people do here. It is definately funny to see people carrying open beers or bottles of wine everywhere in the city...even on the train. We have had lots of wine and bottles are only like 3 or 4 dollars. Our food has been pretty cheap too...actually I took out 400 euros and still have over 100 left and I,ve been here a week. Despite what you may think mom and dad, I am actually doing a good job with staying under the budget.

We took a free 4 hour walking tour around the city of Berlin and saw all of the main buildings such as the Nazi buildings, the Berlin wall and the Brandburgh gate. We even saw where Hitler's bunker was. It was weird to be walking the same streets that the Nazis did. There was a really cool Holocaust memorial in the city too.

Oh and for all the wiedemans out there...there was this cafe named after you in Berlin. I got a picture with it so be looking for that soon.

Last night we hung out with our Australian hostel mates and stayed out until 5 a.m. We saw the sun set and rise...it was awesome except for the fact that one of the Aussies, Jared, was a stalker and stage five clinger. We have established the code word 'pesos' into our converstaion when we think someone is sketchy. I definately used the pesos last night and Amy came to my rescue! haha now its funny to laugh about, but this guy was so annoying and he kept saying 'youre really hot' in his australian accent. I mean I always thought I would love the australians, but this guy was so forward and clingy. Don't worry..I have pictures. Oh yea and last night we signed the berlin wall!! We learned on our tour that it is illegal to do that now so we felt like pretty big rebels. Our names are all on there in black permanent marker so if anyone ever goes there let me know so I can tell you where our names are.

Today all we have done is sleep in (waiting for the Aussies to leave), ate lunch at a really cute Italian cafe, and figured out our train for Prague. We leave tomorrow at 1 for Prague and will be there for 3 nights. We are hoping our next hostel is full of crazy fun people unlike the boring marriage life here...understand that as I am saying this I am laughing because we have been laughing about all of this stuff the whole time.

Tonight we are going on the pub crawl like the one in Paris so hopefully we get to hang out with a bunch of young, fun americans. Welp, the bar on the boat just opened so I think its calling our name. Miss and love you all!

Auf wiedersien

P.S. This computer is like bolted down and I can't get to the USB so I can not post my pictures. I know you are all anxiour to see them, but I promise that I will post pictures soon because I have such good ones. I will let you know on the blog when I post them. Hopefully in Prague.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sweetie, you tell such an excelllent story. I can easily picture you in each situation you describe. You are obviously having a fabulous time exploring the world. Keep steering those young gents away from you my dear. We are in no way excited about the potential of you meeting someone overseas....especially an Aussie :)) NO that would not be cool!
    We miss you honey but we are so pleased that you are doing what you are with your life right now. 5 weeks will go quickly so as I keep telling you, make every second count and laugh a ton as you make more and more fantastic memories.

    I love you Melissa!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete